Friday, December 7, 2012

Zumbathon for the ABTA - December 1, 2012

I hosted a Zumbathon this past Saturday, December 1st to benefit the American Brain Tumor Association. I have wanted to do this for awhile but simply didn't have the time, energy, or power to put it together. Finally, I mustered up the strength to host this and I have to say I am beyond proud in how it turned out. On Sunday, I found myself thinking, when can I host my next Zumbathon? So between my headstand and the Zumbathon... I am still tooting my own horn and Zumbaing along as I do it! 

I loved every single minute of planning this as well, except the couple of hours leading up to it when I was nervous. But I kept it pretty in check throughout the planning process and told myself it was all for a good cause and if something, goes wrong... what's the worst thing that can happen?

I think the most amazing part of it all was how many people came together to support me and this event. And of course that we raised just over $4,200 for the ABTA! My friends certainly stepped up in many ways including; generating raffle prizes, finding photographers, asking how they could help, and of course showing up to Zumba even if they hate dancing or were incredibly hungover! Friends came from near and far and I was very happy to see so many of their smiling faces on Saturday. My family traveled from various parts of the country and not only made the journey but allowed me to boss them around the day of. Some family even brought their friends who were also quickly put to work. They had no idea what was in store when they rolled in for what was supposed to be a fun weekend in the city! The community also helped the cause by donating raffle prizes. Most of these were local business that I support so I appreciated them supporting me back. And of course my Zumba buddies came to help me instruct the whole thing! They were amazing to say the least and kept all 65 people moving the entire time! These are Instructors that I took my first class with, teach with, and met at Convention... I am so lucky to have the Zumba community by my side! 

The whole event was so moving and so much fun! It was wonderful to see friends try Zumba for the first time...to see Zumba enthusiasts come to party their hearts out.. and to hear everyone talk about all the Instructors and who got them groovin to the music... it was all so so amazing.

Thank you to all who donated, contributed, showed up, Zumbaed, shared, led, and made the day one of the best I have had in a long time. Certainly wishing we could do it all again this weekend! This was all done in honor of my always smiling love, Matt, in hopes that we can find a cure so no family has to ever endure this heartache again. Matt would have been so proud. I wonder if he would have actually Zumbaed? It made me giggle when I thought about him dancing around that gym. One thing I know, he would have been damn proud that I had a local pizzeria donate free pizzas!

Please check out the list of donors below and some special shout outs of thanks. Enjoy the pics that were graciously taken by Craig and Cory Stevenson. Check out what their company can do for you here...  bejustdesign.com.

Raffle Donors:
State Restaurant - http://www.state-chicago.com/
Ravenswood Fitness Center - http://www.ravenswoodfitness.com/
Comfy Fitness - http://www.comfyfitness.com/
Buddah Beads - http://tinyurl.com/bdr9n9y
Goran Coban - http://gorancoban.com/
Naked Pizza - http://www.nakedpizza.biz/

Special Thanks:
Julia Ralston
Lisa Proctor
Ashley Bussen
Gloria Crawford
Laura Hunt
Heather Burkey










Zumba Luv!

ZumbaMel

No comments:

Post a Comment